Book thisholiday home
Haumoana - Wakatu Shareholders Only
- 10 Guests
- 2 Bedrooms
- 10 Beds
- 1 Bathroom
- 5 Parking
- BBQ (gas)
?????Who can book Haumoana?
Haumoana is not available to the general public. Only shareholders of Wakatu Incorporation can book this property. A shareholder number or whakapapa details will be required when making a booking
To help reduce community transmission of Covid-19, and to keep our whanau safe we have ?developed these protocols so that everyone is clear about what the different Covid-19 alert levels mean for those camping at Marahau and staying at the Haumoana bach.
These protocols are based on guidelines from the Holiday Parks Association New Zealand and the Ministry of Health. The protocols may change at short notice in response to government advice and regulations. Please follow any instructions issued by the Marahau Kaitaki or Wakatu staff.
Traffic Light Green –Haumoana bach will operate as normal
- Use either the Covid-19 tracing app or manual record book as you enter the property. Please check in with the Kaitiaki onsite to complete vaccine passport scanning and health declaration forms.
- Ensure the number of guests staying on site is updated with the Kaitiaki so we have a record of how many people are on the property at any time. This is for Covid-19 tracing and also for general health and safety in the event of an emergency or evacuation, as we need to have a record of who is on the property at any time.
- Ensure that all whanau, including those just visiting for the day sign in and out using either the Covid-19 tracing app at the front entrance or manual record book, as we need to have a record of who is on the property at any time.
- While the camp and Haumoana will be operating as normal at the Green traffic light, we encourage all guests to be extra vigilant with personal hygiene, particularly in shared communal spaces such as the toilet block. We recommend the use of masks in shared communal spaces.
- Our Kaitiaki will be carrying out regular checks of facilities and increased, robust cleaning procedures will be in place, please ensure the bach is left clean and tidy when you leave to assist this process.
- If you are unwell, please do not come to Haumoana.
Traffic Light Orange and Red
- Only guests from Te Tauihu will be able to stay at Haumoana. This is due to government protocol around isolating if someone is found to have covid-19. We do not have appropriate facilities for people to isolate at M?rahau and it is remote from health services.
- This is subject to review by Wakatu and may change, depending on covid-19 protocol for Wakatu.
Haumoana is located on spectacular private beachfront in beautiful Marahau, the southern gateway to the Abel Tasman National Park. The bach is well suited to whanau get-togethers and good old-fashioned kiwi beach holiday fun for all ages.
- The bach offers a well-equipped kitchen and dining room with wetback fireplace for heating and hot-water supply, flush toilet, separate shower and utility room. It sleeps a maximum of ten people with a four-bunk room and a six-bunk room. Access between rooms is by covered outdoor veranda.
- Lighting and power for the water pump are supplied by a solar power system.
- Gas is supplied for the gas hob in the kitchen and separate outdoor gas BBQ.
- Water is rain-fed tank-water available for showering and boiling for drinking.
- There is no fridge/freezer - cool storage for food requires you to bring your own chilly bins and ice.
- There is no electricity available for other appliances or for charging computers, phones or devices.
- There is no wi-fi available but there is good mobile phone coverage.
- Hooked on Marahau, Fat Tui and the Park Cafe are nearby dining options.
- The closest shop for basic supplies is in Marahau next to the Hooked on Café.
- The nearest supermarkets are in Motueka - an approximately 30-minute drive.
- Camping is possible adjacent to Haumona. However, separate permission for camping must be sought directly from Wakatu Inc.
- Guests not forming part of the booking for Haumoana are NOT permitted to use the bach facilities.
The kaitiaki of the Marahau whenua live on site at the southern end of the property. They will generally welcome you and provide assistance where needed. They will complete a property check following your departure.
View the booking calendar on this listing page to select available check-in and check-out dates.
Bookings for the period 23 Dec ~ 10 Jan are decided by ballot at the end of October each year.
You can register your interest for the ballot via the 'Ask us a question' link next to the Book Now button or by placing a booking request via the booking calendar.
How to Book
Bookings are confirmed only once payment & bond are received.
Book Online Now by Visa or MasterCard
Click the BOOK NOW tab or scroll down to the booking calendar below to book now. Shortly after receipt of your booking request we will bill your card, hold the details as bond for your stay & we'll confirm your booking by email.
It costs just $100 per night to book Haumoana. This is our special whanau rate. A $35 booking fee applies.
A 2.75% card surcharge applies to card payments
A maximum of 10 guests are permitted to stay.
The option to camp is not included with bookings for Haumoana.
- To camp - Permission must be sought directly from Wakatu Inc (Click here).
- Due to tank water and septic system limitations, campers are not permitted to use the bach facilities.
A $250.00 fully refundable bond is required.
This will be charged to the credit card used to book or you can opt to pay this by bank transfer.
The cardholder/payee is responsible for leaving the property, its chattels, furnishings & grounds in the condition found at arrival.
Clear instruction on how to leave Haumoana as found are provided at the property.
By proceeding with this booking you authorise Holiday Nelson Limited to charge the bond for the fair cost of replacement, repair, or services required for Wakatu or its agents to restore the property, its chattels, furnishings or grounds to that condition, where it can be established that such issues arose in the course of your stay & cannot be attributed to fair wear & tear.
Should a claim for recovery of costs exceed the bond, an invoice will be raised for immediate payment of the remaining amount.
The bond will be refunded within 7 business days of departure.?
Cancellation & Postponement
Refunds are not available in the case of cancellation, but you can request postponement. A $35 administration fee (plus 2.75% card fee) will apply.
In this case, 100% of the value of your booking will be transferred to mutually agreed dates. ???
Arrival & Property Instructions
These will be emailed to you upon booking confirmation.
Gates to the Marahau whenua are locked & you'll need to advise us or the kaitiaki of your? arrival time for easy access.
A key safe code will be provided allowing self-check in anytime after 2pm on your day of arrival. Check out is by 10am on your day of departure. These times may be flexible subject to surrounding bookings.
Responsibilities when you leave
You must leave Haumoana cleaned as found and complete your departure by 10am at the latest on your departure date.
- Clear information and cleaning products are provided to assist with this.
- If there have been any breakages or maintenance issues during your stay, please let the Kaitiaki or Holiday Nelson know as soon as possible. This gives us the opportunity to repair or fix these issues asap.
It is your responsibility to take all rubbish with you. Food scraps cannot be buried or left on site.
- We recommend that you purchase Tasman District Council rubbish bags in Motueka before you arrive
- Standard recycling can be put in the recycling bins which are at the entrance to Marahau:
- unbroken, clean glass
- clean plastic with recycling numbers 1-7
- clean cardboard and paper
The nearest full recycling station is south of Motueka at 97 Robinson Road - Click here for Map/Directions.
The Hirer hereby acknowledges that Wakatu Inc. has made no representation as to the suitability of the premises for the purpose stated.
The Hirer shall use and occupy the premises entirely at the Hirers risk in every respect.
Wakatu shall have no liability to the Hirer or to any person for damages or loss suffered by the Hirer or other persons in respect of the Hirers use and occupation of the premises.
- Free WiFi
- Great for Kids
- Walk to Restaurants
- Walk to Beach
- Sea Views
- BBQ (gas)
- Iron & Ironing board
- Beach access
- Boat parking
- Clothes line
- Coffee plunger
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Wood-burner with wood supply
- Linens & towels
- Outdoor furniture
- Off-street parking
- Mobile phone coverage
- All day sun
- Housekeeping upon departure
- Absolute waterfront
- Solar Power
- Wetback hot water heating
295 Sandy Bay, Marahau. The Southern entry point to the Abel Tasman National Park, home to the region's famous golden sands & an ideal place from which to explore & enjoy beautiful Nelson & Tasman. Kaiteriteri Beach is a 15min. drive. Motueka & Te Awhina Marae are 25min drive, Takaka, Golden Bay & Onetaahua Marae at Pohara just over 1hr drive & Nelson is a 1hr drive.
- Local Wineries
- Abel Tasman National Park
- Mount Arthur / Flora Saddle
- Kahurangi National Park
- Kaiteriteri Beach
Good afternoon Sara, What a lovely spot to stay! We all had such a relaxing time and are hopeful to come back again soon. Matt was so friendly and helpful; I cannot express how thankful I am to have stayed there. Hope to book again very soon
Sarita W. - Jul, 2021
Kia ora Sara, Mara, Mayie, Jarrod and Rob, Great weekend stay at Haumoana, weather was good until Sunday. Clean and Tidy Batch, really good cooking facilities and BBQ, Renee and Matt are awesome very accomodating thankful to them for the utilisation of their Kayaks, caught 13 snapper collectively off those Kayaks. Kids had fun, nice to see them off devices and enjoying the outdoors. I appreciate your teams work, great communication and updates. Thank you. We did leave a night earlier than planned, is it possible to please hold a night in credit under my name please? Hei Konā mai, Hōani
Hoani Takao - Feb, 2021
We enjoyed our stay, the weather was great and there were very few people around. Matt and Renee were very friendly and helpful. We liked the quirky nature of Haumoana, but could we suggest that you recommend to Wakatu that some ladders be installed to the top bunks. We weren't confident that our tamariki would be safe in the top bunks especially if they needed to get up during the night. Some of the adults even found it difficult to get to them. Also glad to hear that new mattress covers have been purchased. We would like to return one day. Ann
Ann Martin - Jan, 2020
Brenda Tahi 08:37 (1 minute ago) to me Kia ora team, Thanks so much for letting us stay at Haumoana. Our holiday and stay was amazing and we felt very privileged to be given the opportunity to stay there at that time. Renee and Matt were perfect ensuring that our needs were met but also respecting our privacy. The facilities were above expectation for us. We were able to explore the amazing Abel Tasman and have given our kids some memories they will hold for the rest of their lives. Being able to walk out and swim whenever they want on a safe beach was an added bonus. We will definately be back and have shared our stories with other family members. Warmest regards,
Brenda Wallace and whanau - Jan, 2019
Kia ora Jarrod, We had a fabulous time and our son, daughter-in-law and moko from England are returning home a lovely golden brown colour and a camera full of amazing photo's. We had the best time. Again, thank you very much. We LOVE Haumoana!
Ray, Tracey & whanau - Feb, 2018
Kia ora Thank you for allowing us to create life long memories at Haumoana with our children. Absolutely beautiful setting as always, we are looking forward to our next visit already. Nga Mihi
M Mason - Jan, 2018
Kiaora, our whanau always enjoy our time at Haumoana, reconnecting with the whenua and my grandmothers whanau is the main kaupapa of being there.
M Kahukura - Apr, 2017
Kia ora, Haumoana was magnificent! The Kaitiaki was very friendly & left us to it! Each of us had a great time!
Makoi Takao - Mar, 2017
was awesome as. Kia ora whanau! :)
K Gilbert - Feb, 2017
Kia ora Jarrod We had an amazing stay at Haumoana! Thank you for such a brilliant place to hang with whanau.
H Kaveney - Jan, 2017
We had a fabulous, fabulous time!! Beautiful weather, beautiful tides, beautiful scenery, beautiful people! Our young women felt very privileged and blessed to be on their land and learn of the history of Wakatu and the land. They had a big clean-up of the house, cleaned out the fireplace, and set it up again for the next guests. Before we left they collected wood for the fire and weeded in between the spinifex. I want to personally thank you and express my appreciation for the opportunity we have to access such a beautiful spot. NgÄ mihi ki a tÄtou ka taea te noho i te whenua tapu o rÄtou mÄ kua mene ki te pÅ.
C Hawea - Apr, 2016
Firstly thank you very much to Wakatu Inc for making this whare and beautiful space available to whanau. Its affordable and best highlight for our tamariki was to have nature adventures everyday of our stay at Marahau and explore our Whenua with a warm homely feeling â€“ and Kaimoana everyday, Kei runga noa atu.
R Losefa Kahukura - Apr, 2016
Kiaora Jarrod We had an awesome stay at haumoana, the weather was awesome and the batch had everything we needed bar a fridge lol.
S Kelly - Apr, 2016
Our time at Haumoana was magical. An amazing place and we are already planning our return. The house was really well stocked, I was surprised that everything extra we needed was already there. My only complaint, and it's very slight was the lack of fridge which we thought might be remedied with a modern solar panel. There is a shop very close by however, and motueka is not far to buy meat daily so this is, only a minor complaint. Thank you! Can't wait for our next trip.
M Mason - Jan, 2016